Thursday, July 9, 2015

Placement News: Antalya!

Antalya is located on the Mediterranean coast of southwestern Turkey.

In late May, I found out about my placement in Turkey. Typically, Fulbright English Teaching Assistants (ETAs) are placed in remote areas of a country where the need for good teachers is more dire than big cities. I've been told that I got very lucky; instead of a village, I got what many people call the paradise of Turkey: Antalya.

Antalya is located on the Mediterranean coast of southwestern Turkey and is known for its beaches that attract tourists from around the world (see map above). For those who love history, Antalya is one of the oldest settlements of Anatolia and the region was ruled by many different civilizations including the Hittite Empire, Byzantine Empire, as well as the Ottomans. Because Antalya is the 8th most populous city of Turkey (Istanbul being the first and the capital of Ankara being the second), it is not as conservative as other parts of the country. All my life, I have navigated both conservative and liberal environments, and I look forward to the challenge that Antalya will bring. 

Images you get when you google "Antalya".

No comments:

Post a Comment